To be a community that experiences and shares the subversive yet life-giving way of Jesus.
We believe that God is doing something beautiful in our world. From the beginning, God intended for us to live in peace. But most of us are all too aware that there are many enemies of peace in our world; we see them in our world, we see them in our lives, we see them in ourselves.
But the good news is that God came near to bring us back to his peace through Jesus Christ. Jesus was a subversive prophet who challenged the ways of our world. But he was also a compassionate priest who gives us hope for a better life and a better world.
The hope of Great Exchange Church is simply to live out this story about Jesus together.
And our hope is that not only will you experience what we've experienced. But that we can be enriched by you! As we worship, learn from the Scriptures, pray, and break bread together; but also as we seek to share our faith, show compassion, and seek social justice together in the East Bay—Union City, Fremont, Newark, Hayward and beyond!
Worship | To love God—revealed thru Jesus on the Cross—with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Community | To love one another as Christ loves us across the social boundaries of gender, ethnicity & class.
Depth | To cultivate deep character & a deep life with God in our busy world thru prayer & spiritual disciplines.
Repurpose | To generously use our time, talents & treasures to serve the church, poor & spiritual seekers.
Presence | To engage in spiritual conversations, compassion & social justice as a church in the East Bay—Union City, Fremont, Newark, Hayward—and the world.
Brian is the lead pastor of Great Exchange Church and an adjunct professor at Western Seminary. Brian was born and raised here in the Bay Area. He and his wife, YuYin, have three boys. Brian studied Cognitive Science at UC Berkeley and received his theological training from Western Seminary. He worked in IT, business, and the print industry before entering into vocational ministry. Brian also serves on the board of Missio Dei; he's also is active in cultivating leaders for multi-ethnic and Asian-American churches. While he loves being a pastor, he also enjoys reading, boxing, good beer, and teaching his kids mischief.
Pastor Brian Hui
The Evangelical Covenant Church is a rapidly growing multiethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, with Lutheran roots, the ECC is now diverse and broadly evangelical. We are:
- Evangelical, but not exclusive
- Biblical, but not doctrinaire
- Traditional, but not rigid
- Congregational, but not independent
Vision for Mission:
- To cultivate communities of worship committed to: prayer, preaching, and study of the word; the celebration of the sacraments; and fellowship across gender, race, age, culture, and class.
- To equip loving, giving, growing Christians to reach out with the good news of Jesus Christ – evangelizing the lost, ministering to those in need, and seeking justice for the oppressed.
Our Beliefs (a.k.a. "Covenant Affirmations)
- We affirm the centrality of the Word of God.
- We affirm the necessity of the new birth.
- We affirm a commitment to the whole mission of the church.
- We affirm the church as a fellowship of believers.
- We affirm a conscious dependence on the Holy Spirit.
- We affirm the reality of freedom in Christ.
Find out more about our denomination here.